From traditional keyboards to ergonomic keyboards, we test them all. For mechanical keyboards, we test tiny switches, clicky keys, and tactile feedback.
We even test programmable keyboards and wireless keyboards for ease of typing and portability.
In the Lab, we test each keyboard for typing speed, quality of typing and sound, ease of typing and ergonomics.
Our top overall picks, based on hundreds of reviews from expert users, are mechanical keyboards that are quiet, have solid typing mechanics, and are made of durable materials.
When it comes to typing, there is an art to it. As a typist, it is imperative that you have access to the best equipment available and that it complies with your ergonomic needs.
However, in this digital age, we find that typing is often not taken seriously, with keyboards being perceived as the root of all evil.
What many do not know is that mechanical keyboards can actually be quite beneficial when it comes to professional office typing.
In fact, they are so much more than a mere input device; they cater to a multitude of needs, from ergonomic comfort to tactile feedback, providing an overall enhanced typing experience.
While standard keyboards rely on rubber domes or cheap components, mechanical keyboards do away with these inferior materials and make use of tactile switches actuated by physical switches.
Thus, they offer unparalleled responsiveness, allowing you to feel every key press, allowing you to type faster and improve your productivity.
Additionally, these switches can provide tactile feedback, allowing even a novice typist to tell the difference between an “a” and an “s.” Moreover, due to their durability, mechanical keyboards can last years, as opposed to their rubber dome counterparts.
When it comes to office typing, it is crucial that you enjoy a comfortable experience, while not being distracted by unwanted noise or discomfort.
With a mechanical keyboard, you can easily adjust the typing feel to fit your desired typing style, thanks to its customizable functions.
Moreover, its ergonomic design makes it extremely lightweight and easy-to use, ensuring you’re comfortable throughout your task.
Last but not least, mechanical keyboards come in a variety of designs, styles, and color options, so you can find the perfect keyboard for your personality.
Additionally, they are renowned for their sleek and minimalistic aesthetic, which can seamlessly blend into any workspace.
This, combined with their durability and their comfort, makes them must-have equipment for any typing aficionado. So, the next time you think about ditching your mechanical keyboard, think again, as it truly is a hidden gem in the world of office typing.
ProtoArc Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard for Office:
- 【Comfortable Tactile Mechanical Keyboard】This keyboard offers tactile typing with red shaft low profile keys for a comfortable typing experience. With two adjustable tilt feet (6º and 9º) and a tilted bottom frame with rounded recessed wrap-around...
- 【Quiet Keyboard Wireless】Equipped with smooth fluid linear low profile keys, MECH K300 mechanical keyboard offers a light touch but solid feedback. The keys have a nice, soft-touch feeling that enables quieter typing with less noise.
- 【Open Style & Nice Metal Look】The Bluetooth mechanical keyboard for Mac has a well-constructed and sleek metal appearance. With an open-style layout, it is easy to clean using a key removal tool.
- 【Backlit illuminated Keyboard】The backlighting has 14 different modes, including breathing, waterfall, off, on, etc. It is easily controlled with Fn+ keys to adjust pattern, speed, and brightness. Note: It is white backlighting not RGB.
- 【Wide compatibility】Bluetooth mechanical keyboard supports all windows systems and Mac OS X 10.2 and above, such as Windows XP/7/8/10 and Mac OS X 10.2 and above, Android 4.3 and above. Compatible with Windows/Laptop/iMac/MacBook Pro/MacBook...
The ProtoArc MECH K300 Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard for Office has impeccable build quality, with its softly curved keycaps and large, recessed keycaps.
The flat, low-profile keys make typing easy and comfortable, and the soft-touch membrane keys have excellent tactile feedback.
The keyboard has a backlit illumination system, and while the default lighting modes are bland, you can customize the lighting to almost any color you can think of.
The backlighting is dimmer than that of the Novii W30 and is a bit brighter than that of the Logitech K480. The backlit keyboard is responsive, and we found that it took us a bit longer to get used to typing on it than on the Novii W30, but it’s no more difficult to learn to use.
The keyboard also has separate volume buttons on the left and right sides of the keyboard, which is a nice feature.
We like that ProtoArc includes a cable and a separate USB charger in the box so you can charge the keyboard on your desk or while it’s plugged into a laptop.
Logitech G613 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard:
- Lightspeed: Wireless technology for super-fast 1 ms report rate
- Romer G mechanical switches deliver quiet, precise mechanical performance and 70 million click life for incredible feel and durability
- 6 programmable G keys put custom macro sequences and in app commands at your fingertips. 1 Customize G key profiles individually for each app
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth enabled device with Windows 8 or later, Mac OS X 10.12 or later, Chrome OS, or Android 3.2 or later, iOS 10 or later
- G613 delivers up to 18 months of gaming on 2 x AA batteries. System requirements: Windows 7 or later, Mac OS X 10.10 or later, Chrome OS, Android 3.2 or later, USB port
Logitech’s G613 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is the best mechanical keyboard we’ve ever tested. It s the fastest keyboard we’ve ever used, with impressive responsiveness, great build quality, and an amazing feel.
With up to 18 months of battery life, it s easy to game, work and stream all day long. The wireless mechanical keyboard features Logitech s Romer G switches, which are quieter and more durable than your typical mechanical switches.
The keys feel great, with a satisfying light knocking on each key press. The keyboard also has six programmable macro keys, so you can record macros to speed things up or create custom shortcuts.
But though it s very comfortable to type on, the G613 is a bit on the heavy side, weighing in at 2.44 pounds. Also, the 1.5m (5-foot) USB cable isn t long enough.
Razer Pro Type Ultra Wireless Mechanical Keyboard:
- Maximum Productivity. Minimum Sound: The silent mechanical switches and sound dampening foam on this keyboard offer a quiet, distraction-free experience when at the office or WFH, while its super durable design lasts for up to 80 million clicks.Keycaps :...
- Comfort with Every Keystroke: This ergonomically designed keyboard is high on comfort and features keycaps lined with a fingerprint-resistant, soft-touch coating—for a luxurious, cushioned feel that makes typing a joy
- Superior Ergonomic Support: The soft, cushioned wrist support perfectly aligns to the keyboard to relieve wrist pressure, providing superior comfort and less strain over long periods of typing
- Multi-Task with a Single Click: Connect and control up to 4 devices (desktop, laptop, Android tablet and TV screen) while conveniently switching between them without the constant need to pair and unpair
- Efficiency at Your Fingertips: Customize the keyboard to to best suit your style - remap keys, record macros, and create personal shortcuts for creative tools or office programs to maximize workflow
The Razer Pro Type Ultra Wireless Mechanical Keyboard takes the Razer BlackWidow Chroma and makes it even better by getting rid of the clicky Red switches and adding in an improved wireless setup.
The result is one of the smartest, most feature-packed, and most comfortable keyboards we’ve ever tested.
The Razer Pro feels fantastic, with ergonomic wrist support and a concave palm rest that’s perfect for typing. The linear switches feel precise and linear, but you do get a tactile “click” with each keypress; if you press keys too hard, you can feel them snap.
Keys are large, so they’re easy to find without looking, and the low-profile keys make for a compact keyboard.
Unlike some high-end gaming keyboards, the Razer Pro has a simple, clutter-free layout. The keyboard also has dedicated media playback and volume controls, so you don’t need to reach for your mouse or mouse pad.
The keyboard doesn’t connect to your computer via Bluetooth, but it’s powered by Razer’s HyperSpeed technology, which streams keystrokes over a USB connection so no dongle is needed.
Razer Ornata Chroma Gaming Keyboard:
- High-Performance Mecha-Membrane Switches Provides the tactile feedback of mechanical key press on a comfortable soft-cushioned membrane rubber dome switch suitable for gaming
- Ultimate Personalization & Gaming Immersion with Razer Chroma Fully syncs with popular games Razer hardware Philips Hue and gear from 30 plus partners supports 16 8 million colors on individually backlit keys.Keycaps:Regular ABS
- Fully Programmable Macro Support Razer Hypershift allows for all keys and keypress combinations to be remapped to execute complex commands
- Ergonomic Magnetic Wrist Rest Made of soft-touch leatherette to maximize comfort over extended gaming sessions with built-in magnets for convenient alignment
- Durable Construction Supports up to 80 million clicks backed by a 2-year
The Razer Ornata Chroma is a well-designed keyboard, but it may not be right for everyone. It looks good, feels great, and does a lot of things nicely, but it’s missing key features that other keyboards have.
The Razer Ornata Chroma is a hybrid mechanical keyboard, with switches that feel more like a mechanical keyboard’s actuation point and key travel, but with a soft-cushioned membrane rubber dome switch under them to provide a comfortable typing experience over extended periods of time.
Razer BlackWidow V3 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard:
- Signature Mechanical Switch for Gaming: Razer Green switch technology provides a satisfying clicky sound with 50 G of actuation force, ideal for typing and gaming requiring the highest accuracy
- Ultimate Personalization & Gaming Immersion with Razer Chroma: Fully syncs with popular games, Razer hardware, Philips Hue, and gear from 30 plus partners; supports 16.8 million colors on individually backlit keys
- Doubleshot ABS Keycaps: Using a doubleshot molding process to ensure the labelling never wears off, the keycaps also have extra-thick walls which make them extremely tough to withstand constant spamming
- Ergonomic wrist rest: Perfectly aligns to the keyboard to relieve pressure on your wrists for less fatigue when gaming over long periods.
The Razer BlackWidow is the most comfortable keyboard we tested, with a compact form factor that feels comfortable and, thanks to the wrist rest, ergonomic.
Gamers will notice immediately that Razer’s switches provide a higher tactile and audible feedback than competing switches, and the extra sound of the switches makes it more clicky than other competing keyboards. It also is surprisingly quiet, even when typing at a rapid clip.
The Razer BlackWidow also has gorgeous, individually customizable RGB lighting, which you can control with Razer Synapse 3.
The keyboard also packs in custom macros, which can be programmed and executed on the fly.
Unfortunately, there are so many configuration possibilities that Razer Synapse 3 can be daunting, and navigating its menus can be frustrating and confusing if you’re unfamiliar with the software.
In addition, this keyboard has a mechanical switch, so it’s not quite as durable as membrane keyboards. But it’s extremely well-made, with solid build quality and a very durable build. It’s one of the best gaming keyboards on the market, and we highly recommend it.
MOTOSPEED 60% Dual-Mode BT5.0/Type-C Mechanical Keyboard:
- 【MULTI-DEVICE & DUAL CONNECTIVITY MECHANICAL GAMING KEYBOARD】Support USB wired/ wireless 3.0,Designed with ultra-thin, light weight, small size and concise outlook, CK62 keyboard is handy,61 Keys Compact portable mechanical gaming keyboard with custom...
- 【PROLONGED BLUETOOTH USAGE】Built-in utilizes 1300mah battery which offers up to 10 hours wireless usage under regular circumstances,Standby time 480 hours, which means a few days life cycle on a single charge. There is also built-in on/off switch to...
- 【RGB-BACKLIT MECHANICAL KEYBOARD】19 Backlit Effects,enjoy a more immersive, colorful typing and gaming experience.Support commonly used game mode button backlight and custom recording key backlight function,Double-shot injection molded keycaps, It...
- 【HIGH QUALITY AND RELIABLE PERFORMANCE】Compact ergonomic design and high quality durable ABS construction with plate-mounted mechanical keys and switches,All 61 keys have individual switches with ‘full n-key rollover’ and ‘anti-ghosting’ for...
- 【STRONG COMPATIBILITY】Work perfectly for Windows 10/8/ 7/XP, Mac OS X, Windows VISTA.The CK62 keyboard is not compatible with PS4 and XBOX
If you’re looking for a more traditional mechanical keyboard, the MotoSpeed CK62 is one of the best value models we’ve seen. It has all the features you want in a mechanical keyboard, including Anti-Ghosting, full n-key rollover, and 14 backlight options.
They’re also all super high quality. The switches on this keyboard are all Cherry MX Red keys, and the keys have solid performances. However, unlike most mechanical keyboards that have separate number keys, the CK62 only has 12 function keys.
Also, the CK62’s switch feels are not as good as our previous picks, and its overall build quality feels more plasticky than the rest of the keyboards we tested. Still, it has an attractive design, it works great, and the price is right.
Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mechanical RAPIDFIRE Gaming Keyboard:
- Get the RAPIDFIRE advantage CHERRY MX Speed mechanical key switches provide the reliability and accuracy you demand, with blistering fast 1.2mm actuation
- Aircraft grade silver anodized brushed aluminum frame, built to withstand a lifetime of gaming
- White PBT double shot keycaps for superior durability, look and feel
- 8MB profile storage with hardware macro and lighting playback allow access to up to three stored profiles on the go, independent of external software
- Per key dynamic multi color RGB backlighting offers near unlimited color customization and control. HID keyboard report rate 1000Hz
A fantastic upgrade from the K70 MK.1, the Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mechanical RAPIDFIRE Gaming Keyboard is a striking, well-built keyboard that feels great to type on.
The Cherry MX Speed switches are a little stiff initially, but give them a message and they really come alive.
The backlighting is bright and beautiful, and it’s configurable via Corsair’s iCUE software. The keyboard also has three onboard profile slots, so you can save up to three different profiles on the go, all independent of external software.
The biggest drawback: The delayed key response. If you type fast, it takes a while for the keyboard to register your keystrokes. Other than that, this is a fantastic keyboard, and it’s our current top pick.
Logitech G610 Orion Red Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard:
- Performance driven gaming keyboard: Full size keyboard delivering a pure, fluid gaming experience
- Durable Cherry MX Red Mechanical Key Switches: Low noise switches deliver a more linear keypress for rapid fire actuation
- Customizable Lighting: Personalize individual key lighting brightness to keep track of spells and other commands
- Easy Access Media Controls: Play, pause, mute, adjust volume and skip songs right from the keyboard
- Customizable Function Keys and Game Mode: Program custom macros to F1 F12 keys with Logitech Gaming Software
That said, the G610 is a quality keyboard that, thanks to Cherry MX Red mechanical key switches, does a better job of separating itself from the competition than most of the mechanical keyboards we’ve tested.
And while the G610 packs plenty of features, it still manages to feel streamlined and nimble to use.
For instance, the palm rest is shaped to align with your palm and fingers, which makes it easier to type. And the keycaps are low profile, so your fingers don’t feel fat after typing for a while. The G610 also puts two USB ports and a headphone jack within easy reach.
One caveat: We tested the G610 with the Logitech Gaming Software, an over-the-top overlay for almost any Windows OS with “set it and forget it” controls for lighting, macros, media controls, and more.
It’s fine for gaming, but for everyday usage, the software’s extensive options can be overwhelming.
Logitech G915 TKL Tenkeyless Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard:
- LIGHTSPEED wireless delivers pro-grade performance with flexibility and freedom from cords. Creates a clean aesthetic for battlestations. Delivers 40 hours on a single full charge.
- LIGHTSYNC technology provides RGB lighting that synchronizes lighting with any content. Personalize each key or create custom animations from ~16.8M colors with Logitech G HUB software.
- Low Profile mechanical switches offers the speed, accuracy and performance of a mechanical switch at half the height The GL Tactile switch produces a discernible bump at the point of actuation. Comes in 3 options: GL Tactile, GL Linear or GL Clicky.
- Tenkeyless design provides more room for mouse movement. Store the USB receiver in the back of the keyboard for additional portability.
- Beautifully crafted, the G915 TKL uses aircraft-grade aluminum alloy to deliver incredibly thin but rigid and durable design.
The Logitech G915 TKL is one of the thinnest, most streamlined gaming keyboards we’ve ever tested, but it’s got the chops you’d expect from Logitech’s gaming lineupÂ—including excellent wireless performance, a precision-engineered volume wheel, and some of the best RGB lighting we’ve seen. The keys feel good, and they’re decently responsive.
The TKL design offers just enough space to maneuver a mouse without getting in the way of playing, and the RGB lighting matches beautifully with Logitech’s other RGB peripherals (the G413 mousepad and the G613 headset).
The keyboard features Logitech’s Lightsync technology, which synchronizes its lighting with nearly any RGB-capable device (the sound quality of the RGB lighting is decent; you can make it sound better with the Logitech Gaming Software).
The keyboard also comes bundled with Logitech’s G HUB software, which lets you customize the individual RGB lighting for each key, as well as create custom animations.
Our only criticisms of the keyboard are that it feels a little narrow (the keys are half an inch to 1.5 inches apart), and it doesn’t have a dedicated Windows key. Still, this is a good keyboard, and it’s surprisingly affordable at today’s prices.
Professional keyboard recommendations for office typing:
Typing is an essential part of many office jobs, and professional keyboards are a crucial tool for enhancing office productivity. The wide array of ergonomic features, comfortable typing, and tactile feedback offered by modern professional keyboards make them an indispensable tool for office typing.
However, the sheer number of options available on the market can make it difficult to identify the ideal keyboard for your office.
That’s where this thought-provoking analysis comes in. Let’s take a dive into the world of professional keyboards, and embark on a journey to uncover the best office typing keyboards on the market.
Arguably the most important factor when shopping for a professional keyboard is typing comfort. Studies have shown a direct correlation between discomfort and poor typing speed, resulting in a lower work output.
Fortunately, professional keyboards boast a wide range of ergonomic features, such as palm rest support, contoured keycaps, and adjustable key heights, that increase typing comfort.
Moreover, many professional keyboards even offer customizable backlighting, allowing you to create the most comfortable typing environment. Investing in a professional keyboard with a comfortable typing experience will not only improve office productivity but also lower the risk of injury.
While typing comfort is paramount, typing speed is a crucial factor to consider as well. Many professionals consider typing speed as the most important determinant of productivity and can take nearly 30% longer to complete the same task on a computer with low speed and accuracy.
Fortunately, many professional keyboards offer superior typing efficiency.
Their mechanical key switches deliver smooth and quiet operation, while their dedicated arrow keys enable rapid cursor movement.
Furthermore, professional keyboards provide customizable typing settings, allowing you to fine tune your typing speed, control, and sound. These advanced features maximise typing efficiency and can help you complete more tasks in less time.
Another important factor to consider when buying a professional keyboard is its durability. A robust and reliable keyboard is a must-have for an office worker, as faulty equipment can lead to serious delays, and sometimes even missed deadlines.
Fortunately, many professional keyboards are built to offer unparalleled durability.
They feature metal housings, waterproof designs, and gold-plated connectors that can withstand years of intensive use.
Moreover, professional keyboards with an extended lifecycle offer great value and can help you avoid the hassle of replacement.
The professional keyboard market offers a wide array of features to suit a variety of needs. As we explore the world of professional keyboards, it becomes clear that they play a vital role in enhancing office productivity.
However, the sheer number of options on the market can be overwhelming.
This insightful analysis offers a detailed overview of the best professional keyboards for office typing, including ergonomic features, comfortable typing, and durability.
Equipped with this versatile information, you’ll be well-equipped to embark on your own office typing keyboard journey.
This insightful analysis was brought to you by the University of MOFFAT, a bastion of higher learning, renowned for the impeccable quality of its teaching. If you enjoyed this thought-provoking analysis, be sure to keep an eye out for more fine works from our marquee faculty.
So, next time you’re faced with the overwhelming choice of professional keyboards, keep this guide in mind, and leverage its invaluable insights to make an informed decision.
Gillani is a tech enthusiast who loves writing blog posts about laptops, computers, and power houses. If he had enough money he would purchase the world’s most expensive gaming computer.